10, 9, 8, you know when there’s a countdown it leads to something big… 7, 6, 5. What if the something big was 7 new failures smacking you in the face? 4, 3, 2, or what if I decided to actually make those changes instead of just thinking about them…1. Happy New Year!!!
Normally, I am not the kind of person who makes New Year Resolutions I am the kind of person that makes lists. Lots and lots of lists. Lists of what to do today, this week, this month, what groceries to buy, what errands to run, what books I want to read, what music I want to listen to and on, and on, and on. Thank God for electronic notes, I tell you!
The great thing about lists is it can help you remember all of the things you want to remember and you can cross them off. There is something very rewarding about crossing anything off including, “get dishwasher soap.” I always thought the only real difference between an ongoing list and a New Years resolutions was just the date. I can start a list anytime. But New Year, well you know all about that.
But, what if I’m being too easy on myself? What if I’m not challenging myself enough? The thing about resolutions is they are usually something life changing (and something most people forget by February). While my list is ongoing and I do create some big demands for myself on those lists maybe it’s not as challenging as it could be. So I thought I’d make a new list this year. A list of resolutions. It’s nothing profound that you wouldn’t see on anyone else’s list but I thought if I told you about them and followed up on how I’m doing, those resolutions might be a little harder to forget about. So here they are in list format, there are seven. I’ll follow up a few times during the year and at the end of the year to see how I did.
- Exercise more – I work a lot and really need to get out of my computer chair more often.
- Use my metal studio more. As a pet photographer, I create art for a living but the metal studio is just for me, no demands, just create.
- Work on my selfie game. Ok, here is where it gets kind of interesting. You know if I’ve ever taken photos of you that I try really hard to get you to relax and enjoy the process of getting your photo taken. Well… I hate getting my photo taken. I hate it. I need to work on that for the same reasons I tell you to get your photo taken. The people we love want photos of us!
- More time for adventures with Boo – as I said I worked a lot last year and I feel like Boo and I both missed out on exploring Colorado.
- Education – there is always something to learn with photography, printing, and owning a small business. This year I committed to a week long course in Costa Rica with some of the best photographers in the world.
- Blog more – I stopped blogging sometime last year because all my blogs had been about the 52 week project. The project is great but I just didn’t have the time and to be honest I had done it for 3 years so while it was fun it was also kind of meh. I wanted to blog about something else but I wasn’t sure what. This month I’ll be exploring the things I do want to blog about and then creating a year long blog calendar for myself.
- Friends – I miss my friends. Did I tell you I worked a lot last year? This year I will be more connected to the people that are most important to me. I have a few visits planned for a few of my out of state peeps. For my peeps in Colorado I just need to be more consistent about getting out of the house. Hey, maybe some of them will let me bring Boo? Poor Boo, that might be asking too much.
Comment below and tell us what’s on your list!
Happy New Year!